Monday, November 3, 2014

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Just because October is over and the Halloween decor has been put away, it does not mean you can't still enjoy some delicious pumpkin recipes.   Like this one for homemade pumpkin spice lattes. 

When I saw this recipe come up in my Facebook feed I bookmarked it immediately.  I had been searching for an easy, healthy alternative to the (in my humble opinion) over-hyped pumpkin spice latte at a certain coffee shop that shall remain nameless.
As I mentioned above, this recipe is a healthier option since it does not contain any artificial coloring or preservatives.  And, it actually has pumpkin in it, which is a great source of fiber and vitamin A.  Pumpkin in a pumpkin spice latte? Imagine that!
I will say that I think this recipe could be a touch sweeter.  I think the next time I make it, I would do 1/2 cup of maple syrup instead of 1/3 cup or maybe just add some actual sugar.  Also, I would add another tablespoon of pumpkin (so 4 total) and another teaspoon of pumpkin spice.  But, I recommend starting with the original recipe and adjusting per your taste preferences! 
Best thing about this recipe? Long after pumpkin goes out of season at all the coffee chains, you can still sip on these warm flavors year round without ever leaving the house!

Pumpkin Spice Latte
adapted slightly from www.againstallgrain.com

Ingredients:
3/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Simmer for about 5 minutes, whisking occasionally, until heated through and slightly frothy.
 
2. Transfer the liquid to a blender.  Blend on high for 30 seconds until the mixture is foamy.  Safety tip: be sure to cover the lid with a towel to prevent splashing of hot liquids!  You can also skip the blender and mix the liquid right in the pot with an immersion blender until foamy (this is the method I did).
 
3.  Spoon into a cup of hot coffee and enjoy!  Allow the remaining mixture to cool and then store in the fridge.  Just give it a quick blend before using it again
 
Need suggestions on what to do with the leftover pumpkin puree? Check out some of the other pumpkin recipes on my blog including Pumpkin-Honey Beer Quick Bread and Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, both of which would pair perfectly with a cup of this latte!

Healthfully Yours,

Meghan

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this good looking food recipe, I am gonna try this at home this weekend hope my family will like it as well.

    Sildenafil Softgel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its Amazing Recipe.I like it.Thanks for sharing.

    Buy Super P Force Online

    ReplyDelete