Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Homemade Olive Oil Mayo

If you've been following me for a while now, you've probably noticed my recent obsession with homemade mayo.  I think at one point I may have even said I was in love with it!  Well, I still am.  So much in fact that I decided it deserves its own post! 

 
This recipe is so good that you will think twice about ever buying mayo from the store again.  It has such a rich, creamy flavor, with just a touch of tartness.  Dare I say it's decadent? 
You can use homemade mayo for any recipe you would normally use the store-bought stuff in.  Personally I love it for chicken, tuna and egg salads.  I've also used it to make a homemade tartar sauce which is amazingly delicious!  Add a little curry powder to some of the mayo and you have a flavorful topping or dip for potatoes! 
 
I use an immersion blender, because it makes the process super easy.  Trying to make mayo in a food processor takes serious time and patience - both of which I have little of these days!  If you don't have an immersion blender you can follow the food processor instructions posted here.
 
I cannot stress enough how important it is that ALL of the ingredients be at room temperature.  Yes, this includes the egg as well!  If I know I am going to be making a new batch I will take an egg and a lemon out of the fridge early in the day and let them sit on the counter for a few hours.  Trust me - the emulsification process will not happen if you put cold ingredients in!
 
Also, note that the recipe calls for extra light olive oil.  The "extra light" refers to the flavor of the oil. Do not use extra virgin olive oil in this recipe - the flavor is too strong!

Homemade Olive Oil Mayo
adapted slightly from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com

Ingredients:*
1 whole egg
1 1/4 cup extra light olive oil
2 T fresh lemon juice (I usually use 2.5 T or about 1/2 a lemon for extra zip)
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
*Remember ALL ingredients must be at room temperature!!

Instructions:
1. Crack the egg into a tall container.  Be sure the container is wide enough for the immersion blender to fit at the bottom.
2. Add the remaining ingredients.
3. Wait a few minutes to be sure the egg is settled at the bottom.
4. Place the immersion blender into the container and press down.  While staying directly on top of the egg, blend for about 20 seconds.  You should see the ingredients start to cream up.
5. Continue to blend all the ingredients together by moving the immersion blender up and down.  The whole process should take no more than 45 seconds.
6. Keep covered in the fridge for up to one week.  Enjoy!


Healthfully Yours,
Meghan




1 comment:

  1. I love to use olive oil when I cook. I've done a lot of research on olive oil nutritional information. It's healthy and tasty.

    Susan Hirst | http://www.oliveandthensome.com/nutritional-information

    ReplyDelete