Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pumpkin-Honey Beer Quick Bread


I don't really consider myself a baker, but I do enjoy making quick breads. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the idea of yeast and proofing and punching and kneading really intimidates me!  Quick breads allow you to skip all that; just a little mixing and you're ready for the oven!

Now, I've made banana breads, Irish soda breads and zucchini breads many times before, but never a pumpkin bread. And in case you didn't notice, pumpkin is the hot seasonal item right now! It's a great source of fiber and beta-carotene, an antioxidant, and provides moisture to baked goods. So when I came across this gem of a recipe for a Pumpkin-Honey Beer Quick Bread, I was super excited!

I knew that this bread was going to be awesome when the house filled with the warmth of pumpkin and honey while it was baking...I mean, the house smelled like autumn! And I was not disappointed - this bread was AMAZING! It is a delicious little fall treat and would be perfect paired with a pumpkin spice latte!


Pumpkin-Honey Beer Quick Bread
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
makes 1 loaf
 
Ingredients
  • 7.3 ounces 100% whole-wheat flour (about 1 2/3 cups)
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoons baking soda  
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/6 ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup organic unrefined coconut oil (see my post on oils)
  • 1/3 cup room-temperature honey beer (I used Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 (8-ounce) can pumpkin
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, salt, and next 4 ingredients (through pumpkin pie spice) in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
  3. Combine 1/4 cup water and flaxseed. Set aside to let thicken.
  4. Place sugar and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended. Add flaxseed mixture and pumpkin; beat at low speed just until blended. Add flour mixture; beat just until combined.
  5. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350° for about 50-60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
  6. Enjoy!
Healthfully Yours,
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment