Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Crockpot Steak Chili

I love when recipes just come together out of necessity, don't you?  The other day, I had pulled some skirt steaks out of the freezer to thaw, but thanks to a whirlwind of a weekend, didn't get to them for a few days. By Monday I knew I needed to do something with them or they would go bad. Problem is, the hubby was out of town and I knew I sure as heck couldn't put away 1.5lbs of steak by myself. What to do, what to do?


Well, cue the cool, damp, fall weather and my craving for chili kicked in. I scavenged through the fridge and pantry and realized I had everything I needed. Score! Steak chili it was! And being home alone with a 3 month old, I figured why not make it easy on myself and do this one in the crockpot? Slow and low is the best way to develop chili flavors anyways.


This could not have turned out more perfectly! It was hearty and warm and full of rich flavors which is just what you want on a cool autumn evening. Well, that and a nice glass of red!


Crockpot Steak Chili
Ingredients:
1.5lbs of skirt steak, cut into bite size pieces (flank steak would also work)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 T chili powder (more if you like extra spice)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin


Directions:
1. Combine all the ingredients in the crockpot.
2. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until steak is nice and tender. Keep in mind cooking times may vary.
3. Garnish with extra chopped tomatoes, onion, cheese or sour cream. I added extra chopped onion and some avocado on mine!


 
Healthfully Yours,

Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment